Solar Hot Water
When it comes to solar, many people are familiar with solar PV, or Photovoltaic. But did you know that households with four or more people could save up to $600 a year using a Solar Hot Water Heating System? Your home’s largest energy user is your electric water heater, especially if you don’t have air conditioning or a swimming pool. (Source: Hawaii Energy)
Solar water heating systems include storage tank(s) and solar collector(s) or solar panel(s). There are two types of solar water heating systems: active, which have circulating pumps and controls, and passive, which don’t. HI POWER Solar uses an active system, as this is the most efficient system in Hawai’i because of our climate. To get a better understanding of how your solar hot water heating system works please watch this video:
Active Solar Water Heating Systems:
Direct circulation systems – pumps circulate household water through the collector then into the home. This system is the most efficient and cost effective system, because our climate never freezes.
Indirect circulation systems – pumps circulate a non-freezing, heat-transfer fluid through the collectors then a heat exchanger. This heats the water then flows into the home. This is used for climates that are prone to freezing temperatures.
Solar Hot Water Collectors (Panels)
Morning Star: This handcrafted collector is manufactured in Jacksonville, FL by Alternate Energy Technologies, LLC. This 30-year design life is backed with a 10-year warranty.
SunEarth: This Fontana, California based company has been providing clean energy solutions since 1978. With 32-years of design experience, this collector is also backed with a 10-year warranty.
For more information about these products, visit the documents page where you can review the specifications.
Solar Hot Water Heater Storage Tanks
Storage Tank and Electric Storage Water Heaters for Solar Applications
Available in 80 and 120 gallons
- Brass drain valve
- Single element water heater specially engineered for installation with residential direct solar systems
- Special threaded stud located near the outlet for attachment of tank sensor
- Temperature and pressure relief valve included
- Side and top connect models available
- Isolated tank design for better heat retention
- High efficiency stainless steel heating element
- Tank lining resists corrosion and prolongs tank life
- Cold water dip tube brings cold water to tank bottom to prevent mixing with heated water
- Anode rod equalizes aggressive water action for prolonged tank life
- Cold water inlet, hot water outlet, relief valve and anode rod at top of tank for easy access and fast, economical installation
- Automatic temperature control / Over temperature protector